Great Commission Movement of Ghana
Prayer Training Series
Preparing for Spiritual Battle
Biblical foundation – Ephesians 6:12 & Zechariah 4:6
In the 1930s God gave Arthur Mouw and his team a great harvest Indonesian island of Borneo. For future expansion, they chose the most challenging tribe they could identify—the headhunting Dyaks. As they beached their canoes at the target area, a dark fearful, evil presence attacked them. A strangling sensation left them hardly able to breathe. They gasped out prayers to God for help and pushed their canoes back into the stream. They reached the main current before they were able to breathe again. The group returned home shocked, defeated, and bewildered. Mouw concluded later, “I believe we met the Prince of the Dyak tribe that day.”
Weeks later, the team called on coastal and home churches to intercede. Later, when they sensed God was ready, they went inland again. This time God gave them the same kind of harvest they had first found on the coast. A stronghold was captured for Christ and an entire district of churches was established.
Two spiritual kingdoms are at war – Christ’s Kingdom and Satan’s Kingdom. This battle is against unseen evil forces. How do we prepare, as citizens of Christ’s Kingdom, to ensure victory in this battle?
- Who are we at war with? Ephesians 6:12 & Revelation 12:17.
- In what is our confidence or authority? Zechariah 4:6 & Matthew 16:13-19.
- What can prevent us from achieving victory? What strategies are we to use? Where is the battle ground? Romans 13:11-14 & II Corinthians 10:3-5.
- How do we prepare? What weapon(s) are we to use? Ephesians 6:10-20.
- How do we fight to gain victory? How do we maintain victory? Revelation 12:7-12.
Scriptures to memorize to help with your personal preparation: James 4:6-8; Psalm 24:3-6; I Peter 5:8-9
Praying, in the power of Jesus Christ, the Scripture, is the sure way to win this war. This is illustrated in the graphic sketch below;
The bulldozer represents praying Christians, because their prayers bring the power of God against evil strongholds.
Through their praying, notice how God produces four supernatural results:
- Demons flee away from the scene. (Ephesians 6:12; James 4:7)
- Barren landscapes become fertile fields for the seed of God’s word. (Thessalonians 1:8-10; Isaiah 55:10-11)
- Laborers follow to plant, cultivate, and disciple the spiritual harvest. (Matthew 9:36-38; I Corinthians 3:7-9)
- The sunshine of God’s life-giving grace rises to multiply churches in the land. (Acts 16:13-15; 25-34)
What biggest spiritual battle am I facing at this time?
What prayer strategy do I think can be most effective?
Seek help from GOD to do away with sins and weights that will weaken your defense and give the enemy an advantage.
Gather a team of people to intercede for each other’s conflict if you are not already in one. Keep in contact with each other to monitor progress. Be alert to praise the LORD for breakthroughs or to intensify intercession for resistant strongholds.
Heavenly Father, thank you for equipping me for battle through this lesson. Thank you for making every war resource available for my defense and offence/attack. Please help me to put them on at all times, being prepared at all times. Help me develop the right strategy for each battle I face. Help me throw away every sin and weight that would give the enemy advantage over me. May I never give up until victory is won. Thank you for giving me victory in Christ Jesus. Amen.
GCMGH © Prayer Series #4Preparing for Spiritual battle, Sept/2020